Leaks Can Run- But They Cannot Hid
Drip, Drip, Drip…Let’s Talk Leaks!
Guess what! National Fix A Leak Week is March 14-20th and we want to be sure you have the best resources to keep you informed of the little problems caused by water leaks. Awareness of what to look for and knowledge of how to fix any leak issues can go a long way in prevention and saving money. Leaks can run, but they can’t hide!
Did you know that simple faucet leaks amount to approximately 1 trillion gallons of water wasted each year? That’s huge! And so easily preventable! Not to mention, leaks are costly. Taking time each year to perform a preventative check, can help keep your check book in order.
When you are on the hunt for possible leaks, it is important to start with the data… Begin with your water bill, check your meter, and test your toilets. These will give you some clue as to the prevalence of a water leak in your home.
The EPA recommends the following checklist for tracking down a leak! Here are some of the best-known hiding places to start. Keep your ears open!
- Under the sink
- Don’t forget the tub!
- Check all of your hook-ups!
- Look for pooling in the washer itself (it could indicate a source leak)
- Check all appliances, such as the dishwasher and fridge. Many times, there are leaks behind them.
Basement and Garage
- Exposed pipes
- Water Heaters
- Irrigation controls and sprinkler heads
Well, that all depends on your plumbing skills. Whether you choose to call in a professional or venture down the DIY path, below are a few steps everyone should take… just in case.
- Turn off the water line to the leaking location.
- Identify the primary source of the leak.
- Document any and all damage (date, time, photos, description, etc.).
- If necessary, call your insurance company.
- Call in the professionals or DIY to fix any damage caused by the leak.
- Look for any secondary impacts caused by the leak, such as mold or mildew.
It’s important that everyone learn the ins and outs of their plumbing system to avoid costly repairs or surprise damages. Not only does it help protect your home and family, but you also help reduce any wasteful impacts to our water sources.
Enjoy Fix a Leak Week! Best of luck to all you DIY’ers!
Detect and Chase Down Leaks With Watersense
EPA- Fix a Leak Week
Home is Being Destroyed- Act Now.
How To Find Water Leaks In Your Home’s Plumbing
Dangers and Causes of Hidden Water Leaks in the House
Want to Learn More?
EPA- At Home Activity
Home Water Works
YouTube ~ Just search “Plumbing”
WaterSense- Fix a Leak Week
wikiHow- Find a Water Leak in Your House
Fancy Pants Homes- Common Household Water Leaks to Watch Out For/
Water Use It Wisely- Fix a Leak Week/
White House Utility District- Fix a Leak Week/